In The Community
Beyond providing resources for individual empowerment, LIFTT also works to promote acceptance and inclusion of persons with disabilities through social action and systems change.
1. Social Action
LIFTT works with schools, businesses, and community organizations to increase awareness of the issues facing persons with disabilities and to help them better serve the disability community.
LIFTT’s Social Action Program includes conducting community advocacy and public education activities aimed at:
- improving service systems,
- developing community resources,
- increasing public understanding of disability issues, and
- advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities.
An important part of our social Action efforts includes working with public education. LIFTT can offer trainings and other informational materials on a variety of disability related topics, including:
- Disability Awareness Training
- School Presentations
- Fair Booth Displays
- Acceptance, Inclusion, Opportunity, Diversity
- Community awareness regarding disability issues
- Independent Living Advocacy
- IL Philosophy, Pride, and Culture
If you would like to have LIFTT visit your class, school, group, department, local organization or business for an in-service training, please contact our office.
2. Systems Change
LIFTT works in a non-partisan manner with government at all levels to educate officials on the realities of life for persons with disabilities. LIFTT helps to design and advocate for legislation and policies that produce a framework within which persons with disabilities can achieve self-determination. LIFTT also works to assure that once such legislation and policies are in place, they are properly enforced and administered.
- Participating in committees and task forces,
- Testifying at hearings and public meetings,
- Participating in letter writing campaigns,
- Organizing grassroots efforts, and
- Participating in public awareness activities such as rallies and demonstrations when necessary
- ADA: civil rights, employment protections, public accommodations, transportation options, telecommunication services, and governmental operations
- Improving services and service delivery systems
In addition to the services LIFTT offers to the community this link will take you to the disability.gov website linked specifically to resources available throughout the State of Montana. Topics covered range from information about healthcare, to getting help with paying rent & utilities, family outreach, Montana Vocational Rehabilitation programs to accessibility information at our National Parks to name a few.